Advice for For New Canadians: Pay less tax

immigrants04_322New Canadians are often shocked by our high tax rates and there is a lot to take into consideration when it comes to offsetting your tax situation. But the good news is with the right person on your side you can navigate the system you will find the right deductions and tax credits to minimize what you pay. Beaumont Elder Accountants is here to help you thrive. Just reach out to us so that we can discuss your situation. Our contact information is listed below this article.  Tip: Have a tax payment to make? Follow these steps to complete your payment with online banking. 

When Jonathan Zhang, an immigrant from China, got his first paycheque in Canada, he thought there must have been a mistake. After all, a large chunk of his pay was missing. But when he brought the issue to the attention of human resources, he was dismayed to find that all that money had been siphoned off legally—in the form of federal and provincial taxes, Canada Pension Plan contributions and Employment Insurance premiums. “I was amazed at how much tax I was paying,” says Zhang.

RBC’s Wendy Seto says many of her immigrant clients are shocked when they realize how high the tax rates are in Canada. “The highest tax bracket back home in China is 12%. They’re not used to sales tax and they aren’t used to paying capital gains on stocks.” She says in some cases, she’s seen immigrants actually leave the country after they realize the extent of their tax obligations.

Even if immigrants are aware of the tax rates in Canada, they are often baffled by the complexity of our tax system. The good news is that if you learn about how the tax system works and get proper professional help, you will likely find some deductions and tax credits that can lower the amount you need to give to the tax man each year.

Tax essentials

The crucial thing for immigrants to understand is that you have to report all income, even if it comes from outside of Canada. You may get credit for tax already paid in another country, especially if there is a tax treaty between Canada and your home country. Any assets you have outside of Canada that are worth $100,000 or more must be reported. You must file your tax return by April 30 of the year after the tax year (June 15th if you run a business).

If you are hanging onto investments in your home country, figure out their value at the time of your immigration. That’s because when you sell the assets, you will only be taxed on their growth since you came to Canada.

Should you file?

You need to file a tax return if you owe tax or want to receive a refund. However, even if you have no income to report or tax to pay, you should file to get the GST/HST credit (a credit given to people with low and modest incomes to offset paying sales tax) and the Canada Child Tax Benefit (a monthly payment given to eligible families with a child under 18 years of age).

Often people who come to Canada to study don’t file a tax return because they have no income. But by filing, you will be eligible for tax credits that can be used in future years when you are working. If you didn’t file your taxes during your student years, you can go back and file them later.

Tax credits and deductions

Canada offers all kinds of tax credits that can reduce your bill—each one doesn’t offer huge savings, but their value can add up. For example, you get a credit if you buy a transit pass or if you pay for your child’s sports and fitness programs. It can get complicated, so for the first few years you file, it’s a good idea to pay for a tax professional’s services.

Business owners enjoy a wide range of deductions that can lower their income. “You can expense most things that you spend to earn income, such as your cell phone, advertising costs, and lunch when meeting with a client,” says accountant and immigration consultant Eric Cheung. “If you work at home, you can deduct a certain percentage of your home office expenses.” Once you’re making $90,000 or more in after-tax self-employment earnings, consider incorporating your business to save even more.

Income splitting

One important concept to understand is that in Canada, each spouse has to file his or her own tax return. Couples generally pay more tax in total if one has a high income and the other one has a low income or no income. Therefore, if you own a business, it’s better if each spouse gets an equal amount of income from it, rather than having it all taxed in one person’s hands. If one spouse isn’t working, accountant David Goldsmith says it’s a good idea to put any investments in that person’s name when you come to Canada. This means that income from the investments will be taxed in the hands of the lower income earner, and your family will pay less tax overall.


Beaumont Elder Accounting in MiltonMinimizing your tax burden requires knowledge, expertise and most importantly, planning. We are here to assist with your 2016 personal income tax and benefit returns.

Tax planning is vital to building your personal wealth and should happen throughout the year, not just at “tax time”. We have the experience and knowledge to help you understand the Canadian taxation system and can assist you in preparing and filing your income tax returns.

We’d Love to Hear From You, Let’s Get In Touch!

  • We provide complete Accounting, Taxation and Advisory services for small to medium sized business’ and individuals. We work with you now to meet your current and long-term financial objectives and minimize your taxes. Email us at [email protected] or call us at 905-875-4444 (Melanie).